Mississippi State University is also known as The Mississippi State University of Agriculture and Applied Science. It is located in Oktibbeha County. Since the school is in between two cities, the actual location of the school and all that the campus involves is called Mississippi State, Mississippi, but some people just say Starkville, Mississippi. There are also campuses located in Meridian, Biloxi, and Vicksburg. The motto is "Learning, Service, Research." Currently the President of the University if Dr. Mark E. Keenum and the school employs nearly 4,750 staff members. The school's athletic teams are called the bulldogs
and their uniforms are in the school's colors of maroon and white
. The Bulldogs play in the Southeastern Conference and are in Division one of the NCAA. The school enrolled around 22,000 students in the fall of 2011.
As mentioned before, Mississippi State
was started as The Mississippi State University of Agriculture and Applied Science in 1878. The first students attended classes in 1880. By 1932, the state Legislature decided that the school should be named Mississippi State College but twenty-six years later changed the name to Mississippi State University.
At Mississippi, Students can achieve Baccalaureate Degrees, Master's Degrees, Specialist Degrees, and Doctoral Degrees. The Schools and Colleges that students can attend are: the College of Veterinary Medicine, the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, the College of Forest Resources, the College of architecture Art and Design, the Shackouls Honors College, the College of Arts and Sciences, the Dave C. Swalm School of Chemical Engineering, the College of Business, the James Worth Bagley College of engineering, the Richard C. Adkerson School of Accountancy, and the College of Education. The campus nearly covers 4,200 acres and has 160 buildings. The 4,200 acres also includes farms, and Experiment Station, pastures, and woodlands for research. A famous area on campus is Drill Field. This "field" was the place where Corps of Cadets would do "drills" before the end of World War II. The largest building on the Drill Field is the Mitchell Memorial Library.
Currently there are sixteen residence halls on campus. The residence halls are: South Hall, Creswell Hall, Sessums Hall, Ruby Hall, Critz Hall, Evans Hall, Rice Hall, Griffis Hall, Oak Hall, Hathorn Hall, North Hall, Herbert Hall, McKee Hall, Hull Hall, Magnolia Hall, and Hurst Hall. All buildings are for Freshman and Upper class students and most are co-residential. Evans Hall and McKee Hall are for men only and Sessums Hall is for women only. Mississippi State Bulldogs, like a few other schools in the SEC had a building called "Old Main." Like the others, it was the first on campus and this particular "Old Main" was originally called the "Main Dormitory." It was said to be the largest college dorm in the United States of America and was built in 1880 and finally completed in 1922. "Old Main" was destroyed in a fire in 1959 and took the life of one student. Bricks from the original structure were dumped on the practice field for the band and also used in building the Chapel of Memories.